View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 12:17 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default conlon

Conlon used borders on his prints, as you pointed out with the 1903 Tannehill, but we couldn't find any among our 8x10 dead ball images prior to 1914.

I have a few, Ralph Works and George Mullin, that have borders, but they don't look right. They are too black and white and by 1915 Conlon was using paper that was of a heavier stock.

A Conlon contact print from 1910 is generally from 0.13 mm to 0.15mm. The images I have from 1915 on are 0.16 mm (the size of the Works and Mullin prints). Yeah, I know, I don't have a lot to do during the pandemic.

By the 1920s, and late '30s, Conlon was using heavier paper still, 0.17 to 0.19.

An inexpensive micrometer or digital caliper is all you need; you are not measuring the thickness of paint scraped off of "Night Watch."

It would be just great if Henry Yee would say a few words right about now.

The REA image is going to go thru the roof. What's the over/under on 375 thousand dollars? Everybody has something to gain: old guys with collections, people ready to sell, dealers and grading companies. I include myself somewhere in there.

I agree, it's a terrific looking image. What irks me is the arbitrary nature of the grading scale. The goal post got moved.

Paul Messier, someone I have no connection to, is probably the premier expert on grading photographs. Look him up.
lumberjack