View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 12:52 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Thank You

Thanks for your response and kind words. It is funny, because all his years on the PSA Registry he wanted to remain anonymous. His first name was Allen, and this is our story (see link - only thru 2010 when the SMR article was published). Aside form the card world, I will summarize his story. He was a man's man, although he never drank, smoked, or touched drugs. He was single for 66 years, until 6 months ago when he wed his girlfriend of 25 years - doing the right thing for her - as she inherited much of his estate with little or no tax implications.

He was an incredible carpenter and cabinet maker, working in those industries after HS for about five years. He was almost a failing student in HS graduating with a 1.6 GPA. In the mid to late 70's he hitch-hiked and toured S. and L. America for three years, but in the middle of that hiatus, he found a way back to surprise me by showing up at my wedding in NYC. He then went to college getting a dual BS in Physiology of Exercise and Kinesiology while graduating with a 4.0 and honors. Then he got his Masters, again with a 4.0. In 1980 he and his Long Beach track mates qualified for the Lake Placid Olympics in the bobsled. He became a teacher and worked for LAUSD for 30 years - and at one time he was the highest paid PE Teacher and one of the highest salaried teachers ever in the history of LAUSD as he knew how to work the system and get about $75,000 of add-ons to his $75,000 salary (once tenured). He was one of the best salmon fisherman in all of Alaska, as every summer was spent catching daily limits of sockeyes on the Kenai Peninsula. He always shipped back 100's of pounds of filets, and generously gave them to any/all who desired them. I could embellish this thread with a thousand other incredible anecdotes and innuendos but if you care to read about the AA's click on the link...........

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...ball-card-set/