View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 09:38 AM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Just out of curiousity, is there a reason we can't discuss the card in question? I'm quite interested in the general subject as it is, but actually know very little about 1989 Topps errors and misprints.
Absolutely not, I'd love to share as much about this card to anyone interested. I am working on a lengthy blog entry now. My site focuses on errors and variations (and unmarked promos, proof) from the junk wax era, especially the stuff that didn't make the guides, usually due to discovery after the error fad of the early 90s had passed. The card in question is as fascinating to me the 1990 Topps NNOF or 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken is to others. But warning, this is deep dive into the production lifespan minutia of a common!

1989 Topps Tony Oliva #665 (Turn Back The Clock subset)

Here is what is known:

(3) Versions of the card exist:
  1. Missing copyright line on back (blank space were copyright goes)
  2. Blacked out copyright line on back (vertical black bar printed over copyright)
  3. Copyright line on back (copyright visible in correct placement)

Since 1989/1990 Beckett has listed two versions: "Missing copyright" and "Corrected" versions. Dick Gilkeson's Error & Variation Guide has listed the "Blacked-out" version since at least 1990 (my copy of his guide is from 1990). Since I started down the E&V road in 2002ish, I have been hunting for the "Blacked-out" version. Most hobbyists, I think its fair to say, only know of the two versions. I have seen very few examples of the blacked out card, possibly for this reason. It being a common card likely has something to do with that as well.

Beckett has a parenthetical note next to the card in their annual guide: "Fabricated Card" - which likely refers to the fact that Oliva didn't have a solo card in the 1964 Topps set so Beckett mocked up something based on the photo of his Rookie Stars card (shared with another player). A very common practice today with Topps Archives types sets, not so common then.

So the questions I have are:

What order were these produced? It is commonly believed that there are two versions of the card and a copyright line was originally forgotten and added early on in the run (it is a tough card to find). But the discovery of a third version challenges this. Like the black box on the Ripken or the one on the 1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt, this vertical black bar covers up the copyright line perfectly. So...

Could the copyright line version be the mistake? Copyright line version runs from the beginning throughout the run, word comes in from ?? toward the end of it, requesting the change, card receives black strip over copyright either to A) mark for removal from sheets or as the correction itself. Aesthetically, it doesn't work so Topps changes the plate and removes the copyright line entirely. If so...

Why did Topps need/want to remove it? Does it have something to do with the card being a mockup or "fabricated card" as Beckett calls it? What possible reason could Topps have to remove the copyright line from a product of theirs?

And lastly, if the production order is as generally believed: no copyright followed by a "correction" by adding the copyright, where does the blacked-out version fit in? Is the black bar covering nothing? A marking point for where the copyright is meant to go? Any good reason for this to be the case?

This is where things are right now. I just received a disappointing "blind lot" of 141 copies of the card from Sports Lots. No blacked-out version. I'm looking at cases now online (though this is riskier than buying 100+ copies sight unseen).

I think I've covered everything so far. Let me know your thoughts.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 05-01-2020 at 10:26 AM.