Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 07:21 PM
Ian H@ll

First up, I was thrilled to land this 71 Brooks Robinson. They're so tough on 71s these days, but this card checks a lot of boxes. Centered. Focused image. I've always thought this was such an odd image. This was the early days of action shots for Topps, and honestly.....they weren't very good at it yet. Looks like he just swung through a pitch that had him fooled pretty bad. Also, this means I only have 3 cards left to complete his run of cards.

I'm not as far along on my Frank Robinson collection, but I've made some progress in the last 12 months. He has so many great-looking cards with crystal clear pictures of his intense face. So I like that he's ALMOST smiling in this one.

Continuing with the Baltimore-themed collection, Al Kaline went to Southern High School, which a short walk east of where Oriole Park at Camden Yards is today. As my options for acquiring Brooks Robinson and Frank Robinson cards has dwindled, I've been starting to look for nice Kaline cards to add to my collection. These are a nice start.