View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Unless I misunderstood, this comment suggests a print run differential (and/or surviving population) of 7:1 between 1st Edition and Shadowless. Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

I ran a card store in 1999/2000/2001. Pokémon was wildly popular at the store and I gained quite a bit of nuanced knowledge regarding Base Set during this time. The disparity mentioned above simply wasn't evident then.

Additionally, I took a cursory glance at the PSA pop report earlier this evening. This admittedly brief perusal didn't lead me to believe there is currently a wide gap in surviving examples.

I easily might have missed something, though. If you have verifiable print run information, or something similar, please share your knowledge. You've joined a tremendously inquisitive group of collectors here. We absolutely love that sort of thing. (if you ever want to see a really deep dive, check out some of the T206 baseball cards threads)

Welcome to Net54. Happy collecting.
No inside info! Just what I've garnered from talking with other Pokemon collectors. The operating theory among some of them is that the narrower gap in PSA reports is because a far higher percentage of desirable cards get sent for grading, while the graded pop of Base Unlimited represents a far smaller amount of its print run.
Frankly, I would defer to your experience here, as you actually handled the product coming in!

I'm very very slowly beginning to assemble a T206 – Providence Grays first. Loooove diving into those crazy detailed threads.