View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Tom Boblitt

I'll confess I bought some of the L1 looking Leathers for $20-$40 range. They are FANTASTIC pieces of artwork and not meant to deceive I don't think. I don't feel like I was shilled but I didn't bid that much on them. They are about 80% the size of a true L1 leather and about 4x as thick. I've not seen or touched any of the 33 Goudey-like cards but his choice of subjects is brilliant. Tons of Negro Leaguers, House of David guys and guys who couldn't have been in 33 Goudey......Clemente, Mantle, Maris, 19th century guys, etc. At the end of the day, when you add it up, he's pocketing $6-$10K per month off doing these. Pretty good numbers. Will they ever hold up for RESALE? Doubt it. But, as someone said above, for the player collectors, they are fantastic pieces of artwork. I'd be nervous paying $250 for a Boston Garter-like card, that's for sure. But.....to someone who collects $5-$50K Boston Garters, picking up another one for that collection for $250 is probably chump change (maybe in more ways than one, huh?). The seller is a very nice guy who has come on here a number of times defending himself. I also know the original poster as a very nice guy who has strong feelings about stuff. The seller does a great job of ensuring people know they are not period pieces.....with the bidding percentages Leon describes, I don't see a lot of shilling........my personal opinion........

Last edited by autograf; 10-11-2012 at 09:02 AM.