View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 03:54 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Day 5 (January 5, 2020 – 005)

I thought the program for “Thanks Brooks” day would be a good idea for Day 5. With this I’m “sure” you’re thinking, how organized this guy is posting a “5” on Day 5 (or maybe you’re thinking how smart; I’m sure you’re thinking something… ). Anyway, I remember the year of Lou Brock (David W) thread where he starts off at the beginning of Lou’s career and goes through his career like a well-oiled machine; this thread will not be like that, at all, and will surely be a hodgepodge of unorganized mass mayhem, but that Day 5 was something to remember…

Day 5 a Number 5.jpg

By the way #5 is my favorite number…anyone have an off the wall guess at my favorite color?!?

I’ll likely post more concerning “Thanks Brooks” day, but just a few things to mention about this day in history. Brooks saw no need for him to be celebrated. The O’s, on several occasions, had shown the spotlight on him. General Manager Hank Peters and Public Relations Director Bob Brown had to talk Brooks into it saying it was for the fans. Brooks ultimately agreed on the condition that all proceeds he received would be donated to charity (Johns Hopkins Children’s Center and the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation).

One last note about “Thanks Brooks” day (for now); at the game Rawlings gave Brooks 16 replacement Gold Glove awards since he had given or donated almost all of them (with the exception of, I think, two). Of course he ultimately sold the 16 Rawlings replacement GG awards in a 2015 Heritage Auction, and donated 100% of the proceeds to charity. Brooks said prior to the auction, “I’ve always tried to teach them (his children) to give back, and so that’s what I’ve decided to do.”

I’ve included a program that advertised the upcoming “Thanks Brooks” day.

1977 Orioles program

Day 5 b 2.jpg