View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 08:59 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Nice Story.

My favorite was Brett Butler. I used to go to Montreal Expos games at Olympic Stadium and would often go to the visiting team's dugout before games to try to get autographs.

I was doing that one day when he was with the Giants and standing in a gaggle of other kids reaching out with various things to the players as they went by. Butler stopped to sign stuff and I gave him my card and a sharpie. He signed it but my pen was running low on ink. He looked at his autograph on the card, frowned, and didn't give it back to me. Instead he wandered over to another guy, asked to borrow his pen, then signed my card a second time over the original signature which had been too faint for his liking. Then he came back over with a smile on his face, handed me my card and pen and in a kind voice said I should try to get another pen.

It was only a few seconds of his time, but he gave it to me and it made a big impression. My 1990 Donruss Brett Butler card with two Brett Butler autographs on it is one of my favorite in my collection.
Obviously we need to see that card...