View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 03:01 PM
Brad W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Joe Adcock, Ernie Banks and Don Zimmer at a guess (Banks is obvious plus it's Wrigley).
You were correct according to the research I found (see second post). They're at 2nd base, not 1st as I thought.

"1961 Topps #98, Series 2 Check List

That's Chicago playing at home again and Milwaukee visiting. 2B Don Zimmer approaches SS Ernie Banks with the ball, Zim notably shorter (5'9") than Ernie (6'1"). The Wrigley service door behind that runner is in left-center, so that's likely Cubs LF Richie Ashburn walking back to position after throwing to the infield. Banks' indifference to other bases makes me think that guy on second's the only runner, with any others having scored. (His uniform # is just out of view, but doesn't look like a 1.)

Ernie Banks, Don Zimmer, Richie Ashburn in LF, and a caucasian Brave taller than Ernie Banks doubling to left or center limits us to these contests.
June 30: Cubs win 11-5 (#23 Johnny Logan doubles with bases empty)
July 24: Braves win 7-5 (#9 Joe Adcock doubles in Del Crandall & Hank Aaron)

Joe Adcock is 6'4", so looms over 5'11" Johnny Logan as clearly taller than Ernie Banks, even leaning to one side. The double's credited as deep LF-CF, so I'm not surprised Hank Aaron in his prime would make it home from first without a throw.

Todd Schultz of Net54 pointed out this could be an easy fly ball where the runner held up, making it quite tough to pick out the situation. Given that all Topps' other checklists use "active" plays, I'm OK with thinking this represents something more dramatic. In this case, the first runs of the game.

VERDICT: Calling it for Joe Adcock's double on July 24."