View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 01:42 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Plus, it's just my opinion and I admittedly like the aesthetics of Montana's delivery - it looked like perfection to me.
Couldn't agree with that comment more. Joe had a beautiful delivery, from the pocket or on the run.. He seemed to have a perfect efficiency in everything he did- smooth drop, great feet/pocket presence, underrated running ability and arm strength. Brady also has a beautiful, straight over the top delivery.. But nowhere near the overall physical fluidity of Joe. (conversely Manning and Marino motions always looked ugly yo me.. Clearly, this is no reflection on greatness, and with the uglier motions, they also both achieved lightning quickness.. IMO the ultimate combo of quick and pretty is Mike Vick's).

QB and football numbers are so tough to use as benchmarks... Especially yardage and TDs. So much is reliant on your team's philosophy, and so much of that philosophy is influenced by the era you played and what other teams did. The west coast offense in its early years had a great balance to it. For the era they threw a lot, but no one under Walsh or Seifert to follow through for 4000 yards.. Nor did they need to. They also huddled regularly and ran far fewer plays than these faster pace/call plays at the line type offenses today. In the context of a game though, either Montana or Young could pile up whatever numbers needed to win.. And they did with regularity.

Manning is an all time great, but I take Joe any time over him