View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 09:54 AM

Default Yukio Tanaka

Time for another Meikyukai member.

Yukio Tanaka was a central figure for Nippon Ham for many years. He joined the team in 1986 at the age of 18, and played with them through 2007. For most of that time he was a shortstop. For the most part, he was quite consistent (once normal aging is taken into account), although he did miss almost the entire 1992 season with an injury. I say “almost” because he appeared in a single game in 92, as a pinch runner. (I assume it’s a PR appearance, he’s credited with 1 game and 1 stolen base, but no plate appearances.)

As an offensive player, Tanaka was good, even if not especially remarkable. He had mid-range power (upper-teens to lower 20s in HRs through the prime of his career), but no speed. Eyeballing his stats, they seem to have been mostly above average. For his career he had a slash line of 262/321/434, with 287 home runs and 2012 hits. As with many players, he retired almost immediately after qualifying for the Meikyukai. Defensively, he was very good, setting a Pacific League record for consecutive errorless chances. He also won five gold glove awards. Those went with nine all-star selections, and four best-nine teams.

Historically, the Fighters have not been a good team, and that continued for most of Tanakas career. They managed to turn things around only right before his retirement. The Fighters won the Japan Series in 2006 (although Tanaka himself went only 0-1 in the series), and they took the PL pennant but lost the Japan Series to the Dragons the following year.

Tanaka has the rare distinction of having a minor planet named after him. Yukiotanaka has a diameter of 3.3 km, and is located between Mars and Juiter. It has a highly elliptical orbit (at least compared to the planets), and circles the sun about once every four years.

Meikyukai – Yes : Hall of Fame – No

1998 Calbee. This set must have been released in more than one series. I have other 1998 Calbee cards that say “1997 Star Player” on the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tanaka.jpg (63.8 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg tanaka back.jpg (69.3 KB, 370 views)