View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 07:27 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 262 (September 18, 2020 – 262)

September 18, 1977, was “Thanks, Brooks” day in Baltimore. It also happens to be my birthday today (it was also my birthday in ’77 Baltimore fans came out to the ballpark not only to see the Orioles, who were 2 ½ games out of first and were to play the Red Sox who were in third-place with only 13 games remaining in the season, the fans also came that Sunday afternoon to pay proper homage to their hero. The Orioles press guide of ’78 described the day, “In an emotionally charged atmosphere, Brooks Robinson was accorded a sustained, nerve-tingling ovation as he entered the field and rode around the warning track in a 1955 model Cadillac, manufactured the year he made his major league bow in Baltimore.”

In Brooks Robinson fashion he did not speak long, but thanked his fans by stating, “It’s been a beautiful 23 years. It turned out to be a beautiful day and you’re all beautiful people.” During the ceremony, Doug DeCinces, who replaced Brooks at 3rd, did something simple and spontaneous; he went to third base, lifted the bag from the ground, and presented it to Brooks.
Mark,

Happy Birthday. Very nice items. I do have a lot of programs. I'm guessing over 2000 different, including the minor league affiliate programs. Here's the program from "Thanks Brooks" day.

1977 Program #4.jpg