View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 11:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Gotta play Devil's advocate here.

Although the "47" seems to be under the "100" at first glance, I dare say it's probably an optical illusion. A magic marker written on top of the red ink would look like that, because the red ink is a bit 'slippery' (for lack of a better word) and the black wouldn't fully cover it. Another thing, if the black was truly under the red, why does the black show through it? That wouldn't happen so easily to a red so bold and thick. Plus, the "47" exhibits the typical 'bleeding' of magic marker writing on non-glossy cardboard.

Attachment 616752
All that is why I asked, it's much easier to tell in hand. Some stuff is more visible in scans, what ink is on top of what other ink isn't.

The only thing I don't really agree with is that black under red wouldn't show through. Topps often used inks that weren't all that opaque.
The the typical order is to have black ink last Because it readily covers other colors. Here you can see off to the left how some covered red shows through the black. If they were reversed, we would see that too. (find a 1981 fleer star sticker that's light blue, and you'll see what I mean. All of mine have the light blue over the black.)

It's almost certainly marker, but looked a little odd.