Thread: March Pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 01:30 PM
Matthew Glidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
I also recently picked up these two signed photos Ephraim "Sharkey" Colledge and his brother Art "Jack" "Sharkey" Colledge (from 1936)

The Colledge brothers were both nicknamed Sharkey and worked for the White Sox as kids in 1906 and both retired in 1966, Ephraim was long time equipment and clubhouse manager and Art worked it looks like on and off ending up the visiting clubhouse manager.

Both, and even a 3rd brother Harry, are present in the official 1933 American League All-Star game photo...and one of them is the 1919 White Sox team picture that appeared in the World Series program and 1920 Reach Guide...though it's pretty impossible to tell which one as he was only IDed as "Sharkey, clubhouse boy".

These two with Eddie Bennett who was a mascot/batboy for the 1919 White Sox and likely one of the boys on the far left in the same team photo make for some obscure and hard to find examples of people associated and present in one 1919 White Sox team photo...anyway I am excited to land all 3 of these.
You might have the best Sharkey autograph pieces out there! Ephraim did a 1959 newspaper interview that touched on that Black Sox time. See that text near the end of my investigation into their team photo & team card appearances.

https://www.number5typecollection.co...baseballs.html

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.