View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Default A-Rod in Pinstripes

Posted By: warshawlaw

I think David Eckstein said it best over the weekend (Angels leadoff hitter): "Those Yankees, all they care about is winning." Right. That is all they SHOULD care about, winning every GDMF year, which is all the players should care about too. And Eckstein plays for a team whose owner deserves major props for the way he handled the offseason acquisitions.

As far as Soriano goes, he is an exciting player who will either become great or another Raul Mondesi, but he is always going to be Dr. Strangeglove at 2B.

Let's face it, when you have the chance to pull the trigger on a deal for arguably the best in the game, you do it, if you want to win. I agree with the post re Boone and Henson; look for the Yankees to void Boone's contract and save that salary in the near future.

I can tell you that the Yankees are the envy of baseball fans out here not because of the money (the Dodgers make a boatload of moola, their rigged books notwithstanding) but because of the attitude. Take it from a Yankees fan in LALA Land watching the franchise self-destruct out here: Steinbrenner deserves props, not criticism, for doing all he can to win. If every team had a similar attitude, MLB would be a lot better off. Instead, the Dodgers, who I follow as well as the Yankees, show every year that they don't give a crap about fielding a team that is anything more than mathematically competitive so that they draw their 2.75-3 million to the park, sell their $8 beers and $5 dogs, and make a mint. The fans out here are being royally ___ed without being kissed, and it just plain sucks. Live under that regime for a few years and you would embrace Boss adn his win-at-any-cost attitude with open arms. I will close with a rip off of a poem that was tacked to the Yankees bulletin board in the late 1950's when they dared to lose a pennant race, because it sums up the Dodgers situation:

Although you were defeated Bums,
You shouldn't feel too blue.
Just think of all your bars and banks,
And Bowling alleys too.
As businessmen you guys are tops.
It really seems a shame,
That you should have to leave your shops,
To play some stinking game.