View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 01:42 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I have posted quite a few photos. I thought I would add something a bit older. The first Olympic basketball tournament was held during the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis. It is also referred to as the 1904 World's Fair. The Olympic events were secondary to the Expo. As such the programs will list events, but you would not see rosters of entrants like you would in a regular program. On July 12, 1904 the Buffalo Germans of the Buffalo YMCA would win the first ever Olympic basketball tournament. They were the first team inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. There is some disagreement as to whether this can be considered truly Olympic as there were no foreign teams and it was the AAU Championships. The OlyMadmen, a small group of Olympic researchers, to which I contribute but am not considered a member, view it as a demonstration sport. The business manager, coach and star of the team, Alfred Heerdt would later coach the Buffalo Bisons in the ABL (1925-26) and in the NBL (1937-38).

Here is the program from July 12, 1904.
1904-1.jpg
1904-2.jpg
Olympic-3.jpg
Olympic-4.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”