View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 01:02 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Bob, if you don't mind, what is the name of the documentary? I have seen a couple but I do know Artimus was coming out with one a year or more ago that I never seen so I am curious if the one you speak of is his?
It is titled 'If I Leave Here Tomorrow - A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd'. Shows it having a 2018 release date, so I don't believe it is the same one you are looking for, though it does include clips and interviews with Artimus Pyle. It is fairly comprehensive, starting all the way back when they were just kids growing up in Jacksonville, playing sandlot baseball and hanging out. It goes through the history of the band, and all the personnel issues and changes, from their high school days and playing as The One Percent, through the fatal crash in 1977. There's also a slight follow-up on the group's continuance after the crash, but the gist is all the details of the group through the crash. A lot of greats clips and voice recordings of most all the groups members, including a lot of Ronnie Van Zant, and wonderful archival footage from interviws and performances. There's also a lot of scenes throughout the film with then present day clips of Gary Rossington talking about the band's history and the numerous members, along with him making present day visits to old sites and locations in the group's history, including a visit to Ronnie's grave. One thing that surprised me was how so few members of the band that survived the crash, or weren't even involved in it, are still with us today.

From reading this thread, it got me reinterested, and I ended up watching the entire film again last night. Well done film/documentary and worth the time to watch, even if you're not an over-the-top Skynyrd fan. And of course, as you would expect, they end the film with the band live on stage doing their long, extended climax ending to 'Freebird'.

Last edited by BobC; 11-06-2021 at 01:04 PM.