View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I’ll certainly regret this, but I just want to note that appeals to authority are still irrational arguments. Whether it’s one side appealing to Dr. Malone or the other appealing to Dr. Fauci, an argument is not reasonable or unreasonable by the eminence or reputation of one who makes it or supports it, it is reasonable or unreasonable on its foundation, on the logical basis of its supporting facts and evidence, on the merit of itself.

To use a card example, that I am an ‘expert’ on T218 cards does not make my arguments about these cards and their printing any more or less valid than anyone else’s: the validity of our arguments are not because of expertise or claims to such, but is rooted in the merit of our arguments themselves and the evidence.

Furthermore, unlike many fallacious arguments, the appeal to authority does not convince people. There is always another ‘expert’ who can be found to disagree, effectively setting the argument back to square 1. It isn’t compelling, and it’s illogical.

Both sides would be served by recognizing this to some extent.
I don't think you should regret it at all. There is nothing inherently incorrect in what you have said, though I would change your opening sentence to "appeals to authority *may* be irrational arguments."

The issue here, as I see it is that the overwhelming preponderance of research and opinion of actual experts speaks to the efficacy of mRNA vaccines. And while Malone certainly performed some seminal research that led us to mRNA vaccines, there is a tendency to oversell it. The underlying science preceded his groundbreaking work and it has advanced significantly in the 3 decades since.

That isn't to say that a single person standing against the current understanding of a science is necessarily wrong. They may very well be right. But, the case to overturn a scientific paradigm is made in the lab, not on Tucker Carlson.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 12-05-2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Grammar