View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohman99 View Post
Another variable is the PSA holder itself. We assume that all holders are equal, which isn't the case. The PSA standard holder size has changed many times over the years. Some holders do have a bit of a gap in them, while others seem to hold the card snug, so that is a consideration.

Yeah, I don't deal in too much graded, but I got into a 1986 Bruce Smith Rookie kick for a bit. Had a small stack of PSA 8's, and noticed one of them was floating around a bit in the gasket.

Now, why would anybody trim a Bruce Smith Rookie card I asked myself? His card wasn't selling for much until after the 2020 bump (and 8's are still pretty cheap), and these weren't newly graded. I went so far as to pull a millimeter ruler out and eyed it as best as possible, and as far as I could tell the cards all measured exactly the same...........it was the gasket for that one card that was slightly bigger.

Also have a Munson Rookie that looks like it's swimming around in the slab. It's only a 6, and I haven't gotten around the measuring it up, and not sure if that's common for 1970's or not.