View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 06:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Sorry in advance for the long rambling...

With prices of 1950's and 60's HOF'ers weirdly starting (already there?) to skyrocket lately, I was getting pretty depressed, because I was always doing searches for this classic 1964 Koufax card and feared I missed the boat. My brothers and I somehow acquired one when we were little, and to us it was like a creased, rounded-cornered 100 year old relic of ancient baseball, and we looked at it as a magical card of a southpaw Superman. (Growing up in Queens, we frequently heard Sandy Koufax's name from both of my parents, who were both huge Brooklyn Dodgers fans.) The funny thing is, it seems so many of the listings for this card are PSA 8 OC, as if every one of them was off-kilter. They generally could be had for something in the $30-$40 range, but I never pulled the trigger for some reason. Recently, though, three of them (centered worse than this guy) sold for $125, $136 and $140, so I thought I was SOL. Cardboard regrets are a tough thing to swallow. So, when a new one was listed, I added it to my watch list and was quickly made an offer by the seller. Based on past sales (not including the three very new ones mentioned above), it was a bit too much, so I haggled a little until he graciously lowered the price to just under $50, and I jumped on it!! To me, it seems like Koufax cards of all stripes are going to see the same upsurge in pricing the other greats are experiencing, so I am extremely happy to lock this great childhood memory into a plastic holder...

Attachment 425141
Great story, Darren, thanks for sharing.

Not a story like yours, but based on where it is in my link below, about 3-4 yrs ago I also picked one up.
I believe, at the time, I had zero Koufax cards so when I seen this one, which I really liked a lot, I decided to grab it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sandy Koufax SO 15.jpg (79.8 KB, 507 views)