View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 10:58 AM
J0hn Collin$

Good discussion.

The question for me with postwar vintage goes back to the argument that many over on the main page make - and justifiably, that there was just so much less stuff made in the prewar days, and indeed even for Goudey and T206 and other prewar flagship sets - the pop counts are generally way less than what you find with postwar Topps and Bowman. This argument has been used for years to justify true investment pieces being thought of more as prewar and less postwar.

While I can see this logic, I think if nothing else the hobby boom / bubble of 2020-21 also proved that things like scarcity and pop count don't necessarily matter at least in the short term - when we are talking about key postwar cards of marquee HOF'ers and superstars. In other words, I don't think that anyone here expects there to be a time when nice Mickey Mantle base cards are not prime investment objects - no matter how many of them were or were not made.

The trend here along these lines for the future of postwar singles is just intriguing to me.