View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 08:12 AM
Alan Strout

I'm looking for some thoughts and/or opinions on a early 1954 Orioles spring training program currently on eBay. The program is being sold by a reputable seller and at first glance can be very confusing. The seller admitted to not knowing much about it. Orioles programs being my thing, I offered him some help. Here's the auction title, along with the info I provided and a couple pics of the program.

orig., possible 1953/1954 BALTIMORE ORIOLES BASEBALL TEAM 1st ever GAME PROGRAM

I have some information for you about the program.

This is definitely not the Orioles 1st program after their move from St. Louis to Baltimore in 1954. However, I do believe the program is from 1954. The Orioles spring training site in 1954 was Yuma, AZ. After completing their schedule in Arizona, the Orioles and Cubs played 10 games from March 27 - April 7, across the south, starting in Albuquerque, NM and ending in New Orleans. The Orioles finished their spring training in St. Louis against the Cardinals on April 10-11.

I believe your program is from April 4, when the Orioles and Cubs played in Mobile, AL. It was fairly common for teams to use their regular season programs for these exhibition games and either insert a roster sheet or glue rosters into the program itself. Some teams were also known to reuse previous years programs. The Bluefield Orioles often put a sticker with the new year over the old year. I’m guessing Mobile either reused some old 1953 programs or hadn’t received the new 1954 programs, before April 4, and glued the rosters into the old programs.

I've attached a pics of the Orioles March 29-30,1954 spring training program from Dallas, TX and the April 10-11 program from St. Louis.

Hope this helps.

s-l1601.jpg s-l1600.jpg

I was hoping the seller would update the listing to give buyers a better understanding, that while an early O's program, it's definitely not the first one. The seller did take a small piece of the info and updated the description in the listing, but in my opinion, still left it open to buyers thinking the program might be something it isn't. The seller isn't lying, just leaving some things for the buyer to guess at.

Should I be disappointed in the lack of full disclosure or chalk it up to a seller trying to create as much interest as possible in an item?

Full disclosure - I'm interested in the program, because I love all programs related to the Orioles history and it is an early spring training program.

Here are the two 1954 Orioles spring training programs I referenced, from Dallas and st. Louis

1954 Spring Training (Dallas).jpg 1954 Spring Training (St Louis).jpg

Here's an example of a 1974 Bluefield Orioles program being reused in 1975, with a sticker over the year.

1974 Bluefield Orioles.jpg 1975 Bluefield Orioles #2.jpg