View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 08:39 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I was pretty confident my mail day from you was the highlight of my year, Scott! The Jackson cabinet is still on my desk on display.

They weren't listed great, which was definitely why I got a bargain. They were labelled as 'early reprints' in the auction titles. On the other hand, they were listed in the Tobacco Cards section, with "Mecca" in the auction title. I was pretty confident others would notice; some must have seen and assumed they were indeed reprints.

I didn't think I had as good of a bargain as I've evidently got; I really thought I was likely to continue winning even as other bidders got in. The $2K bids felt like paying a lot for a favorite set, but I bid based on value to me instead of market (who knows what market is). The Donovan is presumably worth multiples of the others.

Here's the Jackson as an example, sold listing for "Mecca reprints" will produce them all.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12488838824...8AAOSwhldhNshZ

I am hoping we can produce a full sheet and it's layout from this, but as they divide into multiple hands it will be tougher; I think there are more the seller has that are now going somewhere else for property listed sale than we have seen. When I get back home I will take the last 5 I got and try to sort all 13 together as best as possible as a starter; some of them definitely connect (Edwards/McGovern horizontally, Jackson/Lavigne vertically, Jordan is the upper right corner). If a full sheet had all the cards, which I think is the most likely layout, we are missing panels that might appear of:
Choynski
Coburn
James Corbett
Young Erne
Jack McAuliffe
Tommy Ryan
Randall/Belasco fight

I'll !@#$ my pants if a Jack Goodman appears.