View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
To each his/her collecting own. If the OP wants to have a huge hole in his player run collection that is his business. Like it or not, there are several reasons the ‘55B card is iconic.

First, it is Mantle’s only ‘55 mainstream card. The other ones mentioned are more oddball cards. Second, it was Bowman’s last ditch effort to fend off Topps in the baseball card war. We would not see another Bowman issue for more than 30 years. Third, it was very innovative for its time. The television culture was about to explode on America. Fourth, it is a 1950s card from Mantle’s prime. A year before his best year.

I personally love the ‘55 set and feel it is undervalued. You can still find mid-grade Hank Aarons for under $300.00. An absolute legend’s second year mainstream card, in a 5 slabbed holder, for under $300.00? Yes, please. I digress.

Buy the Mantle. I think it will grow on you and you will come around!
I agree with the op. Compared to the 1955 Topps set, I can see why Bowman went out of business. A huge drop in quality from 1950-53 to 1954 and then 1955. As far as Aaron, clearly the hobby prefers the 1955 Topps card.