View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Paul

Here's one I've been meaning to raise on here. In August 20-21, 2004, Hunt Auctions sold this signed T206 card back of Miller Huggins in Lot #730. That auction can still be seen here:

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...=730&lot_qual=

This signature came with an LOA from PSA-DNA that referenced Lot #730 in Hunt's August 20-21, 2004 auction. The LOA included the original signature of James Spence.

Concerned about the authenticity of this item, I recently submitted the card to James Spence for his review. For whatever reason, Spence would not authenticate the item this time based on his concerns over the item's authenticity. I got a letter from JSA, which was also signed by James Spence; however, which now asserted that his considered opinion is that "the submitted item is not, in fact, an authentic example," and the reasons for that opinion.

Neither Hunt nor Spence were interested in making this right, which to me meant I was out about $400. Hunt cited the time lapse as well as that I was not the original purchaser. Spence said it was on PSA/DNA, not him.

The good news is that PSA bought it back from me with a large amount of grading vouchers, which I was comfortable with under the circumstances. Frankly, I was more than pleasantly surprised with PSA's efforts to appease me, even though this was 10 years ago and dealt with a former authenticator of theirs. I gained a lot of respect for them through this process.

The take away for me was the auction house LOAs aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

P.au1 M1f5ud

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206