View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default A DH in the Hall?

Posted By: Rhett

Being a lifelong Mariners fan I would LOVE to see Edgar get into the hall, and I honestly feel like he deserves it. Actually it is amazing that he has done as well as he has, he toiled in the minors for years, finally becoming a regular in 1990 at the ripe age of 27. His stats are similar to many good to borderline HOFers that have been enshrined, but his weak fielding and eventual shift to DH will hinder his chances. I still believe he will eventually get the nod, though it may be wishful thinking. Olerud is another great story, someone should really write a book about that guy. He went to High School in the Seattle area with my older brother and sister, and was on the golf team throughout high school until his senior year hen he finally decided to play baseball. He played well enough to get a scholarship to Wash. State and was an amazing All-American PITCHER. Then he had an a brain anurism, which is why he always wears that goofy hard hat in the field. He eventually caught on with Toronto (while marrying one of my sisters best friends) and then had an AMAZING 1993 season. He was outstanding that year, flirting with .400 for the majority of it. He is still a great ball-player and as consistent as any in the game. Better yet, from everything I have ever heard about him he is a very humble and nice guy, and perhaps the most amazing of all is how good he would be if he wasn't the slowest baseball player of all time.