View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default Why do we collect?

Posted By: John S

My office mate, who has no interest in collecting anything, asked me this question yesterday. I know this topic has been discussed a number of times in a multiple threads. Beyond the superficial answers (love of baseball/history etc., money for some) are deeper explanations. Throughout my life I have found myself collecting just about anything. Feathers when I was very young, rocks, coins, stamps, biological specimens (I have a permit!), and of course cards. The list goes on and on.

I have actually done reading in some psychology and animal behavior texts regarding collecting. Some neurotic individuals with collecting compulsions (my wife sometimes questions if I should be placed in this category) have been found with dust-bunny, fingernail, tacks and other items that most sane individuals would not dream of collecting.

Primal explanations for collecting include success as hunter/gatherer and the need to categorize and organize as a way of making sense of one's environment.

My office mate presents another question. Why do some individuals have no interest in collecting at all? Maybe I am thinking a bit to deeply this morning, but I am interested in responses from fellow collectors.