View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Default Post war side of the board?

Posted By: Eric Brehm

My vote would be to expand the definition of 'vintage baseball cards' to include 1950's and 1960's issues, and deal with these topics on the main board. The cutoff year could be 1969 (i.e., pre-1970), for example. Many collectors and dealers even refer to cards up through as late as 1975 as 'vintage', although this of course varies from person to person. In any case I would think that most readers of this board have at least a passing interest in cards of the 1950's and/or 1960's. I also realize that there are some who have no interest in anything issued after WWII; Topps and Bowman and the like is simply not what they come here to read about.

It is a pet peeve of mine when someone, perhaps a new person, asks a question here about say, 1954 Topps Hank Aaron, and immediately gets told to take their question to the 'postwar' side. Sometimes they are also told they need to read the rules before they post, as if they are stupid or something. (Leon, I'm not referring to you here; you have always been polite about this as far as I have seen.) But, I realize that maintaining the board's focus, in accordance with the wishes of the majority, is important, and will be a continuing issue no matter what the rules are.

Another point is that much of the discussion on this board is about phony auctions on eBay, card alteration, and other such general hobby issues that often need to use more modern cards as examples. These discussions are helpful and should not be disallowed because of the age of the cards in question. But again, I realize you have to draw the line somewhere. If discussions about all baseball cards were allowed, it would certainly (according to my tastes) dilute the quality of the discussions that take place here.