View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 10:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
To preface, most of you know I mainly collect/sell Vintage memorabilia and such.

I am curious of all of your thoughts on these cards. On the one hand, it is a cheap way to get a supposed game used piece from a player.

In some cases, it is crazy. There are a couple of Addie Joss jersey cards on the Bay right now. First, the sacrilege of cutting up a RARE HISTORIC item like a Joss Jersey is mind boggling.

Second, what leap of faith are you ready to take over some "guarantee" from Panini or whoever. You can't even authenticate them with a professional.

I do NOT lambaste people who collect these cards. That is the great thing of our hobby. Stuff is there for all tastes/interests.

Opinions all? Thx. Scott
I have very mixed opinions about them.
I think the ones using stuff from current players are fine, a bat used for one at bat, a jersey used for one game or one inning... it's pretty easy to come up with current game used stuff, especially for a deep pocketed license holder.

Older stuff I'm less ok with. In a way it depends on just how bad the item was before it got cut up. I've very occasionally seen some really rough items that I'm mostly ok with a card company cutting them up. Like a portion of a bat, or a jersey of pants with major damage. (The pants cloth and jersey cloth are the same for flannels I think)

But some of the stuff that's been cut up has been in decent condition, and cutting it up is a shame. (Not buying the "it gives everyone a chance at having a small piece" argument.. )

I will note that Pannini is more hypocritical than most, because they don't make those sorts of cards for any of their international products.