View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Mastro Shilling?

Posted By: MikeU

"My main concern is >>> thecelebrant <<< and the relationship to Bill Mastro (and Mastro Auctions) or ANY affiliate(s). sandandy feedback represents over 10% of celebrant. This is high by any measure. Having Steve Hart a trusted dealer create the statement makes me VERY curious about this situation. I just looked in my new / old Mastro auction catalogs as well as online and could not find any policy stating employees or affiliates are not permitted to make bids (shill or otherwise).

In anyone aware of the policy and is it in writing? I guess it is a good time to find out!"

I believe thecelebrant is Doug Allen, which is the President of Mastro Actions. Bill Mastro via Doug's biding on the 1964 Topps Standup box on eBay, contacted Steve Hart to check out the box and see if it was legitimate. Steve flew to Connecticut and confirmed the box to be legitimate for Mastro. This let Mastro (Doug and Bill) bid on the box with confidence e.g. $25K on eBay. Doug and Bill will now have PSA (Steve Hart) grade the packs and you will see this for sale in an upcoming Mastro Auction. I have zero issue with auction houses owning lots, but my preference is that this information is disclosed.

The thecelbrant purchase on eBay and hiring Steve as a consultant is normal and proper due dilligence. In this case, Mastro will make out handsomely as the box yielded a complete set in unopened back form + extra HOF'ers.