View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Brian K

Default To Sell or Not to Sell or This Would be a lot Easier in Person

I've got a little bit of a pickle that I have been kicking around during this crazy time. I have been collecting for years, and have been fortunate to put together some great sets, and snag some great cards through the years for reasonable prices. I don't collect high level cards, and I am just as happy to snag Dave Winfield rookie cards as I am to get a creased, stained, and marked up T206. One of the sets that I have assembled is a 1948-49 Leaf set. The hope was to pass it down to my kids, as those dates are the birth years of their grandparents. In the current market though, a couple of the cards have got me thinking.

I was able to snag a Jackie Robinson RC 5 years ago, raw, and it ended up grading out a PSA 4. In the current market, the value of this card has been jumping by the month. One sold last night for $11k, the two before it sold for $10,800 and a best offer accepted with a posted price of $13,500.

If things were normal, I would take the card to a show and try to trade down for a lower grade card to maintain the set, and try to snag a package of lower grade iconic cards to hit a fair market trade. Being that shows aren't going to happen anytime soon, I am faced with selling the card or holding it. I am fine with holding it, but don't want to miss an opportunity to grow my collection and pick up some other cards at the same time. I'm not comfortable shipping a card with that value, and 50/50 on selling through ebay/paypal with all the fees associated with them. Am I overthinking it?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2422_lo.jpg (56.4 KB, 449 views)