View Single Post
Old 05-17-2023, 10:56 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I believe a lot of people, including myself, who deal with Greg go in with the mindset, "Hmm, that raw Gibson now trading about $300, about to close and graded by GM as ex/exmt is interesting. VCP shows average price for a 6 to be $650. If I can get it for $450, add in grading and shipping, quickly sell it, then I can turn a nice profit. Just capitalist thinking, and for years I found GM cards to be utilitarian.
However, I have moved on. Greg has truly been discovered and is a bit overwhelmed. Prices for his raw stuff has certainly increased.
Finally, grading a card ex-exmt leaves a lot of latitude and one must consider the vagaries of the TPG'ers
I think the latitude of his grading can sort of be where the value comes in.

For instance, I purchased a Koufax Rookie that GM graded "Low Grade" which is supposed to a 1 or 2, and SGC graded it a 3.

As others have pointed out, GM cares more about sharpness of corners than centering, so some of their "EX/EXMINT" cards would grade lower as they are way off in centering. But centered ones may grade higher.

But yeah, I have not found any bargains with Greg Morris for a while. He is getting ridiculous pricing, especially for his high profile stuff.

It is interesting to me that as others pointed out, he is buying entire sets from Robert Edward and others and breaking them. I bet the people that consigned those cards wish they'd directly consigned to Greg Morris, rather than an auction house.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-17-2023 at 10:59 AM.