View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Brad

Maybe I’ve missed it, but I’m surprised no one has commented on Chipper as a switch hitter. He’ll end as one of the top 3 or 4 all time, and this is what sets him apart to me. His ranks among all-time switch hitters:

Average:
.304 – 2nd behind Frankie Frisch (Chipper ranks ahead of Rose, Mantle, Alomar, Murray, Schoendienst)

Home Runs:
468 – 3rd behind only Mantle and Murray

RBIs:
1,619 – 2nd behind Murray

Yes, the great and honest relationship with the media and staying with one team his whole career will help him, but his numbers as a switch hitter are what I hear as the number one reason among writers as to why they’ll vote for him in the first year.

A fun “Did you know” stat that has nothing to do with switch hitters: Chipper and Albert Pujols are the only two active players with at least 450 career home runs and who still have more career walks than strikeouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Was he a dominant runner leading the league in steals many a season?
100backstroke- Please don’t think this is a shot at your comment, because it isn’t, but your comment did remind me of something. I know you were referring to base stealing and I believe Chipper only had a couple 20-steal seasons, so he certainly wasn’t a league leader in that regard. However, Chipper has long been regarded as perhaps one of the best “base runners” in the National League. He was called “the best and smartest base runner I ever had” by Bobby Cox and others such as Tony LaRussa and Jim Leyland have offered similar sentiment over the years.

A quick story … I remember a game a few years ago when Chipper was at first base with two outs and on a hit to right field he stopped at second. Some questioned why he didn’t go ahead and take third on the play. The next batter got a hit and Chipper scored. Later in the game, with one out, he went from first to third on a hit to LEFT FIELD. The next batter hit a sac fly and the Braves beat the Cardinals by one run. After the game, Cards manager Tony La Russa said Chipper’s base running had made all the difference in the game. A young player would have likely done things in reverse of what Chipper did, but he was smart and knew when to take third and when not to.

I know guys don’t get in the Hall based on their base running, but in this little part of baseball that is usually overlooked, he’s clearly considered one of the best by those who play and manage against him.