View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 03:22 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
https://app.collectable.com/assets/b...news-sgc-3-161

The $6MM is not really a market cap, as I read it, it is the float, since the owner will retain a number of shares in the card, and "may release more shares at a later date". Will they disclose the total shares that exist in the card including those privately held? If not, how can the value of a single share be estimated by a buyer? I'm totally new to this concept, if you couldn't tell. Since they are the ones using the IPO analogy, I assume that these are reasonable questions to be asked.

from the link...

This asset was recently purchased by a private collector who wishes to remain anonymous for an undisclosed sum; however, sources have confirmed it represents the most expensive purchase in sports card history, surpassing the $5.2M sums recently paid for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 9 and a LeBron James rookie card.

For 23 years the card has been showcased at the Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore, MD. In 2010, The Baltimore Sun published an article in search of the rightful owner as he was unable to be located. Shortly after the article was published, Glenn Davis quickly emerged as the son of Richard Davis, the owner who had recently died. Richard’s father Archibald Davis acquired the card as a young boy when he was selling newspapers. The card came inserted in the Baltimore News where Archibald kept one.

The card will be displayed at the Babe Ruth Museum in Baltimore, MD, where shareholders can go and visit their asset in person!

In partnership with the private owner, Collectable will issue a limited number of shares to the public at IPO. The owner may release more shares to the public, similar to a secondary offering, at a later date.
Cool story and a worthy record holder. I saw this card at the babe ruth museum while at dental school in baltimore. It's a must see if in town. Also the bar the babes dad owned/worked at is in the neighborhood...the harbor inn I think. They used to have a barnstorming photo of babe and lou behind the bar in a frame. I always wondered if it were real?