View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Mike

Style: player collecting because I feel its a bit more manageable. You can start with a basic set, and once mastered, move on to the master set if you still are into it.

Players and Teams:

1) Cleveland Indians, and especially Rocky Colavito because he was my mom and uncles' favorite. Also Feller because he was a great man

2) Sandy Koufax because he was a left-handed pitcher, and growing up I wore #32 as a left-handed pitcher because of him.

3) Roberto Clemente because of his passion for the game and for helping others; one of his was also the first "vintage" baseball card I ever got (1972 Topps in-action)

4) Pete Rose, because he's got an intriguing/notorious character; he was big when I grew up; and I sense he's got a lot of upside potential if his image is fully rehabilitated

5) Hank Aaron, because I can't think of another player in any sport who could hold so many all-time records and yet be under-rated at the same time. He was so consistently great for so long and faced tremendous pressures chasing Ruth.

Sets: I bounce around sets based on what appeals to me aesthetically. I started big into '56 and '57 Topps. But lately I have gotten more into '71 Topps and the '70 Kellogg set not because they're very important sets or hobby standards, but because they look so great