View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 11:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
Yes, it will blow over. As embarrassed as i am to admit this, it took me 40 years to realize people want to feel good and want to be sold the story and enjoy the story. They don’t want the truth. I have many theories why, but basically I believe the story and the myth allows them to escape and for whatever reason, if they are being scammed they would just rather not know.

I learned this in a class I took on sustainable businesses and farm to table restaurants which essentially dont exist. I sat there and listened to a restaurant owner spout off myth after myth and at the end a classmate says “I ate at your place and its the greatest fish I have ever had.” I almost interjected, but I am too tired to educate anymore. You think the baseball card industry is a fraud, the fish industry is a joke:

https://www.tampabay.com/projects/20...farm-to-fable/

But, people dont want to hear it. They want the story and to feel good about the experience. I have no idea why.....and it took 40 years for me to learn to just shut up and not educate, and l as much as I can, restrain myself.
As an elite card doctor was overheard saying at a show, I'm just making these guys what they want and couldn't otherwise have.

If you went to enough card shows before grading became popular, and looked at and handled enough raw cards, and saw the typical distribution of various conditions across various issues, you would wonder where the hell all these high end cards are coming from. Sure, some are legit. Many are legit. But a whole shitload are not.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-31-2019 at 11:06 AM.