View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 12:03 PM
Dave Carson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Nice recap!

My fave line was "I was getting grouchy".

Very nice read! Thank you!

Mike
Yeah - when I pulled some cards that had been priced in the binders, but was told I had to wait for the one guy to review everything against his Beckett price list, I just told them to forget it and walked away. He was going through a stack of a couple hundred cards pricing them out. I wasn't going to hang around and do that. Was ruder than I should have been. That was my clue that it might be time to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Sounds like fun. How were prices on the cards you collect?
Looking back, other than the 1961 Fleer Jim Brown ($80) the only card I paid more than $30 for was a 1954 Red Man Yogi Berra ($32 before the final discount given - can't remember what it was).

My opinion was that graded vintage seemed to be priced high - very high. I did not go with the intention to get graded cards, but the handful I saw were well beyond what I would pay. I generally don't buy graded cards except (1) it is a very high end card that is often reprinted or (2) it is a decent price - i.e. someone paid to grade a card that really shouldn't have been graded

I thought the ungraded vintage sports and the non-sports were fairly priced. There were a few tables that were just downright a great deal, but I walked away from very few tables saying the prices were out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Wow, thanks for writing all that!. I'm really impressed with the variety of cards you were able to find. No way I could keep all that straight

and congrats on that stack of 49 Bowman!
A five page want list helps. Being an accountant by trade helps too - I like order in what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
One slight trick is buying your ticket over your phone, which I did on Friday as I was standing in the lobby. It may save some time standing in a line. The Covid elephant... I'm fully vaccinated and wore a mask the whole time I was there Friday. Considering many of the attendees are from all over the country has me a bit worried to be honest. I mentioned the crowd size to one vendor and he agreed it was much larger than previous Friday crowds...it actually seemed more chaotic to me and I had enough of it after six hours.

I'm not a set collector, nor a graded card geek. I did pick up a handful of '57 Topps, nothing special, just cards that make you feel like you're 10 years old again. The guys with a list and a plan seem to have the easiest time. Wandering through the tables is like a corn maze, you don't know which way to turn and become easily distracted by cool stuff. My little plan was negro league player autographed balls. I ended up with Double Duty and Buck O'Neil. I tend to gravitate to ephemera, like tickets - I did pick up a 67 Fenway WS ticket and a '41 Ebbets Field Game 4 ticket, as well as a 1939 Indy 500 program and a 1974 NHL All Star Game program. I had my eye on a 1928 WS ticket and scorecard but I'll be damned if I could locate it after I had passed by it earlier....someone may have bought it. One day was enough for me, 'til next time.
Sounds like you found a lot of cool stuff. I looked at a lot of neat stuff - but resisted buying. I was talking to the guys at Kevin Savage cards about the great ephemera they had out - I have stuff in cabinets that haven't seen the light of day for years, yet I keep buying things from them like Cleveland Barons programs. I need to be reducing the programs, yearbooks, etc that I have, not adding to it.