View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I think these Early Baseball/Veterans Committees should be done away with, they accomplished what their intention was, to see if any HOF players were missed to the years. These players have been looked at and evaluated many times. How many more Harold Baines need to be elected?
Thanks all, for the many illuminating posts on who might deserve to get in. I think the point Jim65 raises is a worthy one ripe for further discussion. Set aside Baines because the Early Committee probably wouldn't include someone who doesn't rate high statistically. I wonder if there is something to be said for not opening up the Hall to 19th century players UNLESS there is a modern stat that wasn't available initially that provides further justification for entry. Hall of Stats seems to do a pretty good job of this, and there's some overlap with a few of the players we've been discussing (including Caruthers and Dahlen): http://www.hallofstats.com/. But unless there's a strong statistical case based on something not available generations ago, I think I agree with Jim65.