View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=gustomania;2003907]Thanks and very cool story!!! I would love to be there during any of his games just to take in the ambiance and know what it's like back in the 50/60's.

Very cool and thanks for posting.

Perchance you never treated yourself to this, a fine anecdote and piece on Sandy Koufax that eloquently conveys the ambiance of his last 6 years pitching at home may be found in Ken Burns's documentary on the history of baseball. The piece begins with the anecdote by famed Dodger broadcaster, the late Vin Skully. I will always remember his first two words, "Oh genius." If you don't own it, gustomania, there is a good chance your local public library has it available to check out. That is how I saw it. You can probably Google the index and discover which volume has what Ken gives us about Sandy. It IS very moving.

Congratulations on your collecting quest; I'm sure it will be very fulfilling to you.

I just thought of another something to complement your Koufax collection. Rare Sportsfilms out of Naperville, Illinois markets some terrific DVDs about sports. They offer many of the immediate postwar official World Series films, so that includes 63, 65, and 66. The first two are "must haves". I cannot recall if they have a DVD strictly devoted to Sandy. If that interests you, check Rare Sportsfilms' web site. Doak Ewing's stuff is not penny ante, nor should it be, and they are high quality and reasonably priced!

Just trying to be helpful, bro.....

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-10-2020 at 09:23 AM.