View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 01:56 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 290 (October 16, 2020 – 290)

As Oriole fans we’d see Brooks Robinson make the same type of plays, or even tougher plays, since he began his career; he always excelled in this area and became the measuring bar everyone else is compared. The 1970 WS just spotlighted what the Baltimore fans had already known for around 15 years and it was no surprise; Brooks just had more opportunity this series due to the pull hitters on the Reds. Also, just a side note, Brooks was 33 years old in the ’70 Series so he was not an up and coming prospect, but a well-established player. Dick Hall commented about Brooks’ play in the series and stated, “We kind of laughed at the fuss everyone made – we’d seen him [Brooks] make those kinds of plays for years.”

A few quotes from Sparky:

Quotes: "I hope the car they (Sport Magazine who awarded it to the World Series MVP) give him (Brooks Robinson) has an extra-large glove box." - Sparky Anderson

Quote: "I'm beginning to see Brooks (Robinson) in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw me out at first." - Sparky Anderson

Quote: "He can throw his glove out there and it will start ten double plays by itself." - Sparky Anderson

The Daily News paper from October 16, 1970 recapping the final game of the Series with the newspaper heading, “Series for the Birds”; “Orioles Bury Reds, 9-3, for Title”.

Day 290 Publication 1970 Daily News October 16.jpg