View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Al

Its a shame, this could have been a good thread.

Ive always been a card guy, but have been getting more into the memorabilia end of things lately. I've gotten a couple of nice deals on eBay over the last year.

First, I found a broadside from the Newark Peppers, advertising their games. Its a great piece, especially considering that i collect items related to baseball in new jersey. REA sold one a few years ago for something like 2K; I believe I got mine for $300.

Next, I got a very large tin sign advertising jacob ruppert beer - it's something like 3 1/2 feet long or so. It was in a weird category on bay, and i got it for a little over $100.

Lastly, in the most recent REA auction,i won the scorebook from the 1867 Bernards Base Ball Club of Basking Ridge, NJ. To me, this is a true treasure - given the year of the first game in Hoboken, this has got to be one of the oldest surviving relics documenting baseball in NJ, over the years it has made the rounds and wound up being displayed at various events throughout the state, and during that time it picked up a few autographs, notably Jimmie Foxx. I think this is. A museum quality item, but apparently im the only one who thinks so, since i won it for the opening bid.

I also have some very cool correspondence related to casey stengel, but vie posted that stuff so many times over on the card side that I will spare you all.

That's my contribution.

Al