View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Phil Garry

Funny you mention the '86-'87 Fleer basketball cards. When they first came out in December of '86, I bought two wax boxes at J.J. Newberry's in Paramus, NJ at the Bergen Mall, which was across the street from my first-ever bank job at 18 years old. At the time, the two wax boxes were priced at $10.00 each but the cashier rang them up as $10.00 total so I happily took them home at the bargain price of $5.00 each.

Of course, I ripped open all of the packs as soon as I got home and made three complete sets along with dups of Jordan, Ewing, etc. Fast forward to around 1990 and I see an ad in SCD with Rich Altman paying around $200 for the Jordan RC alone, of which, I had four from my sets. I quickly packed and shipped them along with Ewing's, Malone's, Barkley's, etc. and got back a fat check for just under $1,000. What a steal for my $10.00 investment, right? I had to go bragging to all of my friends too.

Of course, fast forwarding to today, unopened wax boxes routinely bring $10K+ each so, if I only knew then what I know now............