View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 12:13 PM
J0hn Collin$

Sheesh, that's really splitting hairs. Centering minutiae on cards that are in high grade to start with I think is part of the slightly fraud-tinged aspect of professional grading that we all put up with. 80/20 vs. 55/45 is one thing; clearly most people can tell the difference there, but in this example, card 5 looks to have worse centering to me than card 6. I guess it could be the angle of the scan, but the difference here is a few points, not like 20 or 30. To me on a card that is decently centered to start with, but you can tell it's not perfect or "dead nuts" centered - it's all just antimatter. What if the "o/c" card has better color or registration? This to me leads to a card selling for more online because of a slab, where in a shop or at a show that wouldn't be the case.

Don't get me wrong, I value professional grading - especially for buying cards I cannot hold in my hands first - but for the "o/c" card in that example to likely be worth half or less than the non qualified card in a marketplace like eBay makes no sense.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.