View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 08:13 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Mike-

The idea is good. The implementation is harder.

Were I to take a guess, I'd say that there are approximately 4,000 tabbed Zeenuts "out there" in the hobby universe. Some might have different approximations of the numbers, but I think that's as good a guess as any, based on the little I know.

Now, I think that this falls under the classic 80/20 rule. I strongly believe that there are four or five collectors out there that each have 500+ tabbed Zeenuts in their respective collections.

For your idea to work, I think you'd need to get at least two of those collectors on board with your idea. I'm not sure there's many people who could even put names to those folks with tabbed Zeenuts. And a few of the folks I know who like Zeenuts are not necessarily super excited at the idea of sharing scans/pictures online.

I hope you can get it to work, nonetheless! I'd love to see something like that

You've hit the nail on the head. I hope we don't have to wait for these collectors to pass away like Dick Dobbins before we access for scans. They should realize that showing their cards will increase the value. Others can actually see what exists and can plan for a cash or tax value on them when they become available through sale or donation. That would actually put a higher value per card than a bulk disposal.

Merely confirming the existence of a card does not provide full attribution that a picture of it can. A lot of the old collectors think they did a great job identifying them last century. They did the best they could back then. But like many cards and collectibles, the identification processes they started have not caught up with modern times. I seen many a picture postcard lot that was highly prized fifty years ago get disposed by relatives for very little because insufficient information about them, particularly photographs or scans, were not available.

If these old timers don't want to do the work, there are plenty of use, including me, who would be happy to take the pictures or make the scans for them.

Mike