View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Cliff Blankenship only played three MLB seasons, including the two he spent in Washington. For Washington, he got a total of 38 hits for a .235 average. I have no idea what his salary was, but it is still easy to say that he would have been "cheap at twice the price".

For it was Blankenship, out with an injury, who was deemed available to travel west and scout a prospect the team was interested in. And on that trip, he detoured to evaluate a second prospect named Walter Johnson. Immediately recognizing Johnson's potential, Blankenship signed him to a contract on the spot.

Sealing the deal by agreeing to fund Johnson's return to Idaho in the event he didn't measure up in Washington, Blankenship reportedly replied: "Sure, but son, the last thing you are going to need is return money."

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1617725222
George, very nice card of Blankenship! I very much enjoy reading the player info you provide every time (or almost every time) you post a card.

Here's some additional info re Blankenship & WaJo from baseballreference.com:

"I've got to go up in Idaho and inspect a pitcher named Johnson. He's probably some busher that isn't even worth the car fare to scout." - comment by Cliff Blankenship to Clyde Milan about Blankenship's assignment to look at some fellow named Walter Johnson

Cliff Blankenship hit fairly well in the minors but not so much in the majors. His major league career consisted of three separate seasons - 1905, 1907 and 1909, the first with the Cincinnati Reds and the last two with the Washington Senators. Blankenship was a catcher, and also a first baseman, at a time when first base was an important defensive position. In the minors, he played some third as well, and in both the majors and minors he was in the outfield on occasion. He also umpired one American League game in 1907. Cliff was with Seattle from 1904-1906 and hit around .310 each year. His first year as a minor league manager was 1909, and he managed for 11 minor league seasons.

Blankenship is remembered as a scout of sorts - while injured with the Senators, he was sent to check out Walter Johnson in Idaho. Per the legend, he was told to bring his bat and, because he wasn't much of a hitter in the majors, to sign Johnson only if it was not possible to even hit a foul ball off him. Blankenship wired back: "You can't hit what you can't see." The Senators signed Johnson and the rest is history.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.