View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 PM

Default Automated Card Authentication

So wanted to update the group on my machine vision card authentication project. We've developed some basic algorithms to detect real/fake 1933 Goudey cards based on 7 markers that can detect a real card with extremely high accuracy. As an after-effect it does appear that we can also supply a basic non-biased grade to various components of the card. In short, the problem is very approachable and doable.

The biggest problem I have right now is training data - what I've used (intentionally) thus far have been images taken on my iPhone - since I'd like this to exist in an app. Standard iPhone 10 photos provide plenty of resolution to achieve whats necessary to machine grade - my issue is that I need many images of cards to train the algorithms further and what I've been able to download off the site here is down-compressed significantly and others are in too high resolution to be consistent with the model.

So my question is - how do you think I can best get a high volume and wide variety of 33 Goudey's taken on an iPhone (or even similar quality smartphone). I've considered going into shops and taking pictures of every card I can find but obviously this isnt the most scalable approach. Are there members on here with large raw Goudey collections that have pictures (note that scans aren't necessary but could work depending on the size)? The images are typically 2-3mb in size but I'm just not sure the best way to gather a large volume of unique images. Any advice or suggestions are welcome - no need to post images here since they will likely be compressed in a way that may make them not usable.

Obviously with the card graders shut down the problem is quite timely - so any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Kevin Lenane