View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
As a Ranger fan I always felt that Walt Tkaczuk was a better two way player than Bob Gainey & would be in the hall if the two had switched teams.
Shhhh...don't let a Habs fan hear you. I think that entire team is enshrined. Bob Gainey, they'll say, had an award created just for him (Selke). Denis Potvin did say that the only player that made him rush handling the puck was Gainey. I think after one of those Soviet Wings, Red Army series in the late 70s, the Red Army coach went on and on in the Forum saying Gainey was the best defensive forward he ever saw play.

But I digress. I'm with you, I am not a Gainey fan. But those are pretty heady comments from Potvin and the CCCP coach (name escapes me).

You want to talk about overrated, and Howard, you saw his entire career, Guy Carbonneau. I know you are a Ranger fan and that Isles team was probaby kryptonite for you at the time, but if I said, "Howard, choose between Guy Carbonneau or Butch Goring to start your team" are you ever picking Carbonneau? I mean, ever? Butch every time.

Honestly, you could have put Bob Bourne on those Habs teams and he would have been enshrined.

Last edited by Kevin; 12-09-2020 at 06:31 PM.