View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 09:27 PM

Default Nice thread

Just a couple of quick corrections:

Quote:
I remember reading that Craig Ramsey is the last player to go an entire season without committing a single penalty.
Actually Butch Goring did it in 1980-81. I am not certain if anyone has done it since.

Quote:
I think after one of those Soviet Wings, Red Army series in the late 70s, the Red Army coach went on and on in the Forum saying Gainey was the best defensive forward he ever saw play.
It was Viktor Tikhonov and his quote was that Gainey was the best player in the world in the technical skills of the game.

There were three dynasties in the 70's and 80's - the Canadians, the Islanders and the Oilers. The Habs have 8 Hall of Famers, the Islanders 5 and the Oilers 7. That seems about right to me, although I think you could argue the Islanders deserve more.

The Habs had Dryden, Lapointe, Savard, Robinson, Lemaire, Shutt, Lafleur and Gainey. Not certain how any of them are not HOFers plus the fact that Lapointe, Savard and Lemaire were elite players before the 4 Cups in a row.

The Islanders had Smith, Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Gillies. The only other two who might merit consideration would be Ken Morrow and Butch Goring.

The Oilers had Fuhr, Coffey, Lowe, Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Anderson for 7. Seems about right to me.

Good point about Craig Ramsey. My family had season tickets to the Sabres in the 1970's and while I was not a Sabres fan I enjoyed watching Ramsey and Luce on the ice. I have never thought of him as a Hall of Famer but I never saw Carbonneau as one either.