View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 07:27 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Michael , Great eye ! Thats Hurricane Carter , me and George Chuvalo. Not sure exactly when the photo was taken but want to say early 1990's. Carter had just gotten out of jail and Chuvalo had just finished work on the re-make of "The Fly" in which he appears in one of the opening scenes as a tough guy that gets his wrist broken in an arm wrestling contest.
They had both flown in that morning for a private signing, to Orlando Florida from Canada. We had some laughs but one thing funny that sticks in my mind, as many boxing fans might remember , Muhammad Ali who had a nickname for all his opponents called Chuvalo "THE WASHER WOMAN".
Carter arrived about 5 hours before George and started meticulously and neatly signing each photo "Rubin Hurricane Carter" , Chuvalo arrived and his signature is a scribble and tore through all the stuff he was there to sign in about 2 hours. We then went to Carter's room where he was still signing...smile. Carter asked George how he finished so fast. Chuvalo picked up one of Rubin's photos and looked at it and said "If I signed every photo , GEORGE THE WASHER WOMAN CHUVALO I'd still be signing too"
Great Job to everyone ! lots of reminiscing here by everyone. : )