View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 04:43 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Like the All Overrated Team, this is hopefully just for fun, so let's try to keep the bickering to a minimum.

I am defining underrated as not in the Hall of Fame. A separate list could be made of people that are in Hall of Fame, but are underrated by public perception (lower than they should be on All Time Great lists, etc.), but I think it is hard to determine public opinion.

P: Luis Tiant
C: Gene Tenace
1B: Keith Hernandez
2B: Bobby Grich
SS: Bill Dahlen
3B: Ken Boyer
LF: Lance Berkman
CF: Kenny Lofton
RF: Dwight Evans

Most of these are in a virtual tie: Kevin Brown and David Cone are other worthy starting pitchers, Dick Allen is a worthy 1B, and Lou Whitaker a worthy 2B to name a few.
Great minds think alike! I think we were making out posts at the same time but I like your non-HOF twist.

SP - Jim McCormick - Should be in the HOF.
C - Charlie Bennett - The best defensive catcher of the 19th century by a long shot!
1B - John Olerud - One of the best pure hitters of the 90's, but didn't get the recognition because he wasn't a power hitter.
2B - Jeff Kent - Got caught up in the whirlwind that is Bonds and it's almost a footnote that he is the all time leader in HR for 2B.
SS - Jay Bell - Yet another player overshadowed by Bonds.
3B - Robin Ventura - Getting beat up by a 46 year old when you are 26 doesn't help, but Ventura was crazy good.
LF - Jeff Conine - Only player to debut with the Marlins and be on both the 97 and 03 WS teams.
CF - Kenny Lofton - The man is a HOFer, and it's not even close.
RF - Bobby Abreu - Speed and power. Very underrated and a top 20 all time RF in my opinion.